Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Doll Master (인형사 Inhyeongsa)

"Five young people are invited to a remote doll museum to be models for dolls. Here they meet a strange doll maker in a wheelchair and several other people. The five young visitors later find that they all came from the same village, and all know a common story: A doll has its own spirit. Then one by one, each is mysteriously killed. The last few survivors find out the truth: dolls do have spirits, and they have come to settle some old scores." -wikipedia

The Doll Master, a creative Korean horror movie for people in love with dolls like myself will really make you look at your doll in another light. The basis of the story was based on that all dolls have souls. I myself collect the dolls in the movie which are shown in the picture. I am probably the biggest chicken in the world when it comes to horror movies but when I heard of this movie with Ball Jointed Dolls I just HAD to give it a try. 

The movie started out nicely, it gave nice foreshadowing in the beginning that would tie up the loose ends in the end of the story (if you paid attention) and slowly went into the story. I thought that it wasn't terribly scary just very bloody and more over depressing.

Though it is stated that these dolls are decades old, its rather that these dolls are modern Asian Ball Jointed Dolls. I own three of them, they are expensive high quality resin artistic dolls. Everything from hair, eyes, body parts and make up is customizable. For more info on them Den of Angels is a great place to go if you're interested. 

Continuing back to the movie, the story went on into how one of the girls who was at the museum found her old doll Mina as a spirit and the doll believed she was abandoned and wanted to be with her owner. It really went into how humans neglect a lot of things that lose value over time. 

The character eccentricities were fun to, you had a little bit of everything from the outcast to the dumb blond. Though ultimately like any other horror movie quite a few people were killed by the end.

My biggest downer was I couldn't find anywhere other than youtube that had a subbed version of this movie since it is in Korean, the subbed version on youtube is 7 seconds off and it really took away from the movie, I'm trying to find my own copy of it so I can upload my own version for people.

For people who are terrified of dolls...this may not be the best movie for you, but for those who collect these dolls, it really shows you another side of them. So I give this movie a 4/5 and would watch it again any day.

Here is the trailer of it, non subbed but shows some ideas in it.

 

Until next time

~Himeko


No comments:

Post a Comment